Saturday

PECHA KUCHA

I put together this photo essay archiving home ideas I've gleaned from my research on the internet, in magazines, and books over the years. Some are my ideas and some are ideas from artists and designers I admire. I really want to do a whole book from it!
I think my initial interest in practical design began in the interiors sections of the Kinokunya Bookstore in San Francisco where I would spend hours staring at kitchens and dining rooms in Japanese homes. There is something so practical, yet inviting in the way they arrange and design their spaces.
There is this term, ki no bi- which means "functional beauty" that inspired this project- and I feel like all design I love embodies this in one way or another.
So much inspiration comes from the internet- tumblrs, pintrest, blogs, and websites, my mind sometimes feels like exploding with ideas. I especially love how-to's...
or books like Nomadic Furniture by James Hennessey that offer instructions on how to build your own simple, beautiful furniture.
Although these ideas are simple- I hope you can find inspiration like me.
These simple brass tubes are found in many Art and Craft supply stores and were inspired by Anna Sara Devik's tube brooches, they make a beautiful bouquet, table setting, or wall piece.
There is a bookstore here in Seattle that displays their calendars on hangers that I've always loved. Makes a perfect teepee or towel holder too!
These bronze sleeve bearings make for simple candle holders and can be purchased at any hardware store. I get the candles in Japantown, they are non-drip.
Years ago when I was visiting Claudy Jongstra, I stayed in the Lloyd Hotel in Amsterdam and Droog had an amazing installation in their lobby with rugs draped over sofas- such an interesting way to do upholstery!
These lamp shades I got at Goodwill and were obviously inspired by Ana Kras' beautiful bon-bon lights. I tore the fabric off, sanded the glue down, and spray painted them white. Flip it over for a cool plant holder (something I saw in a spread of Plant Journal).
I'm a sucker for a wooden rack and noticed I was using my clothes rack to hang newspapers on so thought I'd make one dedicated to magazines. Miles built it from simple wooden dowels.
Hardware stores are like candy shops to me- this bronze cotter pin makes a handsome tie clip and has great weight..
and this lynch pin makes for a nice clip to secure hair.
My rendition of Mark Eden Schooley's Koushi Lamp, a DIY project I saw online on several of my favorite spaces.
An old friend of mine's landlord had put these paper blinds up before she moved in and since I couldn't find them at the hardware store, I thought it would be easy to make my own.
You kind of can't go wrong with a hanging plant- but the best part is you don't have to know crochet or macrame to make one. Just tying simple knots or braids works great!
Both these tools are great for the farmers market. The lock pin as a handle for carrying multiple bags and the net bag for storing veg.
Just simple $25 Ikea chairs can be transformed with yarn or leather cording. It adds a pretty pattern and cushion instantly! (This idea came from American Apparel ad of Ana Kras at beginning)
Lastly, this couch was built from a simple child's mattress purchased at Ikea from poplar planks.

xo,
Ashley

27 comments:

lp said...

ashley, this is incredible! you should totally make this a book.

HENDRIK.LOU said...

this is really great. thanks for sharing

Prudence said...

I would buy this... so lovely!

Various Projects said...

well done! i love the 'ki no bi' concept.

vingtseptembre said...

<3

mukup said...

Beautiful, rustic idea, good.

Léo le Brigand said...

love love love, i'll buy your future book ;-)

annton said...

ki no-bi is going to be one of my most favourite expression, from now on. very inspirational photos. thank you.

Unknown said...

this is so great! ki no bi is a wonderful concept and ill remember forever! i would buy this if you made it into a book! ahh i adore this, i could look at it all day!

Anonymous said...

wow, wonderful!

alessandra said...

great post, thank you for the inspirations. I think I will try to make that lamp!

Nome Alone said...

Was so great to see your talk, great presentation!!! XO

Jennifer said...

So good Ashley!! You should self publish this- I'd absolutely buy one.

sonya gallardo said...

You gotta make a book of this, and I'm sure you will.

alexa said...

I love this photo essay Ashley! I think it would make a great piece of work on print too; you do the best DIYs!

Jessica Kleoppel said...

AMAZING.

olivia park-sargent said...

beautiful + inspirational, as usual ...

Shiso Shop said...

great work :) always love your aesthetic

K. Johnson said...

So glad you're back posting love, love, love your blog!
You should do a book, your aesthetic is amazing, Mcnally Jackson's is great at making small edition prints.

Unknown said...

Hi, it is pretty. The real book would be good too. The internet is amazing for collecting ideas, the only problem is there are too many of them there and one stops to apprehend them.
Magda

mim said...

so practical and beautiful at once. thank you!

curate the day said...

what a beautiful collection of ideas. i love the title too. if you create a book, i'd buy it.

michelle chamlee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley, what a beautiful collection. May I ask what color your walls are painted? It is really a lovely shade. Thank you!

.the society. said...

You're such an inspiration ARH. Your book would top my coffee table. Thanks for sharing a few of your secrets!

.the society. said...

You're such an inspiration ARH. Your book would top my coffee table. Thanks for sharing a few of your secrets!

Cordless Desk Lamp said...

thanks for sharing.