Sunday

Q+A with Caitlin of Metrode

Morning routine...
Wake up, hopefully not too late, become clean. Lately I’ve been making myself a (decaf) coffee with some brown sugar & eating homemade granola with yogurt. I get dressed very quickly.. my clothes are all roughly interchangeable. After or during breakfast I’ll check what’s happened on the internet since last night

Wardrobe staples...
Wool sweaters, blazers, comfortable knitted anything- skirts, dresses, pants- relaxed trousers, oxfords (shoes & shirts), and recently leather boots that I can get wet & dirty

Designer/s you love...
The ladies of Apiece Apart, Alber Elbaz, YSL. Mostly I buy weirdo handmade clothing, if not vintage from thrift stores. I admire makers of warm sweaters quite a bit

Current obsession/s...
Reuable household items. Dryer balls, tissues, cleaning towels, cotton balls. Very useful, often beautiful; easy & sort of satisfying to take care of, rather than throw out constantly. Bamboo & wool are great materials for these things.





Home improvement/s...
Retiling kitchen floor. Handmade wood stair railing & good size work table, each from woodworkers in Seattle. Linen instead of cotton in bathroom & kitchen, maybe linen sheets one day.. I’d like to improve my mixing bowl situation with large Akiko Graham bowls, that'd be nice..

Favorite find/s...
I have a few: long staple mohair tufted Navajo rug from New Mexico, recently a vintage wool fisherman cardigan with a beautiful braided belt (photographed above), modern woven chair, Navajo Churro sheepskins from a man named Chuck whose wares I happened upon online

Most recent recipe...
Rather than recent, my very favorite is a spicy sausage & vegetable soup I found out about last year. It is very delicious, and perfect in the winter, along with some nice bread

Beauty product/s...
Handmade lanolin & goat milk soap, Blue Lagoon Silica Mud Mask, Weleda sage deodorant & rosemary hair oil.. blush everyday, mascara some days

Daily reading...
David Budbill for poetry & Halldor Laxness for fiction lately, a nice magazine like The Gentlewoman or The Travel Almanac when available. I like biographies of artists or politicians, should find a new one soon...

Secret Seattle spot...
I don’t think they’re secret, but maybe less frequented.. El Gallito for a relaxed, cheesy meal; De Medici Ming for beautiful papers, cards & stationery

Thanks Caitlin!
*Also, she has a new shop update! Love the shrunken fisherman pullover ;)

2 comments:

R.G. said...

this was so great to read! she is so inspiring.

shara said...

metrode is one of my favorite shops and i really admire caitlin's aesthetic quite a bit. lovely interview!